Adult Bible Study, Thursday at 10:30 am on Zoom
All are invited to take part in our Bible study and discussion!
Each week we discuss the biblical passage that will serve as the basis for the upcoming Sunday service. Questions, doubts, insights, and hunches all are welcome. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you will sent an invitation to join on Zoom. We use the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible (available online at www.oremus.org) and have been using The Message by Eugene Peterson as a supplemental interpretation.
The class is led by our pastor Heidi Vardeman, who has been a college professor as well as a pastor. If you are brand new to bible study, we recommend you do some background reading on the gospel we are studying, such as on Wikipedia. We look into the social context in which the passage was originally written (what was going on politically, economically, and socially?) and investigate the unique perspective of each gospel writer (for example, since Matthew was a Jewish writer writing to a Jewish audience, how does this affect his writing?) as well as talking about what it means for us today.
- September 17: Matthew 20:1-16
- September 24: Matthew 21:23-32
- October 1: Matthew 21:33-46
- October 8: Matthew 22:1-14
- October 15: Matthew 22:15-22
- October 22: Matthew 22:34-46
- October 29: Matthew 23:1-12
- November 5: Matthew 25:1-13
Calvin for Armchair Theologians, Wednesdays at 7:00 pm on Zoom
Pastor Heidi and our Seminarian Katrina will be leading a class on Zoom based on the book Calvin for Armchair Theologians. This class will teach us about Calvin and Reformed Theology. There will four classes and five discussion weeks, counting the introduction. The schedule is:
- September 2 – Intro & Overview
- September 9 – FIRST CLASS, read 1st chapter
- September 16 – Optional Discussion class
- September 23 – SECOND CLASS, read 2nd chapter
- September 30 – Optional Discussion class
- October 7 – THIRD CLASS, read 3rd chapter
- October 14 – Optional Discussion class
- October 21 – FOURTH CLASS, read 4th chapter
- October 27 – Optional Discussion & Wrap-up
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA). We welcome seekers and members of other denominations & faiths.